Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- I just turned 50 years old. Should I be tested for colorectal polyps or colorectal cancer?
- I don’t have any family history of colorectal cancer or coloretal polyps. Should I still be screened?
- My medical history and or my family medical history put me at an increased risk for colorectal cancer. Should I be screened at a younger age and more often?
- I understand that there are a number of screening tests available; can you tell me about each of these tests and their pros and cons?
- I don’t know which screening test is appropriate for me now. Which test do you recommend and why?
- Will you perform the test? If not, who will?
- Will I be awake or asleep during the test?
- Will the test hurt?
- How will I learn the results of the test?
- What kind of follow-up care will I need if the test shows a problem?
- If the tests show nothing wrong, when should I be tested again?
- What is the cost of these tests? Will my insurance cover the cost?